Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,300
Like?
Observations from a camera shop.
7 months ago

It’s Friday, I’m meeting my pal in the pub at 5-30 and because it’s p****g down yet again, the other half gives me a lift and drops me off outside the local camera shop a bit early. I browse the window as I often do and there’s an EM1 in the window. Yes micro 4/3s in the window in the UK.

I’m a proud G6 owner and there is no m4/3s camera that I would swap it for other than possibly the EM1 but I haven’t handled one and it’s too expensive at launch prices for me. Twenty minutes to spare, so though the door ,

“can I have a look at the EM1 please”

“Sorry what’s that”

“the camera in the window”

Love at first feel. Its gorgeous but much heavier than I expected. It has the 12-40 attached

“It’s much heavier than I expect, I assume that is because of the lens”

“to some extent but the OMDs are quality and that means more weight|”

“I know my G6 feels a bit plastic but it is very light and I have seen nothing to say it is any less durable”

“Oh no sir, grovel, grovel, of course the polythingymewhatsitscarbonates these days are superb”

I still have the EM1 in my hand and I want one. I would really miss my articulating screen though and why does the EVF look so dark?

“we also have the Sony A77 which is a direct competitor and they feel very similar”

Funny the word full frame never crossed his lips in all of the time I was in the shop

It does feel nice, heavy again, but no love at first sight as with the EM1 and anyway my path is set. I think the EM1 has the edge in the beauty stakes.

“so who’s winning the mirrorless war”

“Sony by a head but Olympus really seem to have got their act together and have a good range. Panasonic have the edge in compacts with the Gs and Pens are c**p”. I suppose that might have been because there weren’t any Pens in the shop for him to sell.

Hand back the A77, tell him it’s not for me and that the EM1 is lovely and leave the building.

A nice way to spend 20 minutes.

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow