Need external battery for multi-hour night sky sessions (D5200)

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KInfinity
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Need external battery for multi-hour night sky sessions (D5200)
11 months ago

So, with the skies really clear and moonless, I attempted my first interval night sky. I used my 16-85mm set to 16mm, taking a photo every 60 seconds @ 15sec exposure, at F/3.5 at ISO 320.

I had already put some use on the battery that day testing early time lapse. For my night photos, I only got 65 photos before the battery ran out. I'd like to do way more. I made a video that's 24fps, so it's not a long video =).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/108185548@N03/12232923634/in/photostream/

The photos making this video have been altered with lightroom, mostly to increase saturation.

I think I should increase the photo frequency to double -- maybe once every 24 or 30 sec. I chose 1 minute because the camera was taking time to process the photos after every shot. I'll increase the ISO to make each photo faster.

Basically, I'd like to shoot 6-7 hours of continuous video. That's a 42 second video made from 999 photos. How can I get battery life to do that?  I assume that a battery grip isn't enough, and the other option I see is an AC power cord. But, I'd like something that I can take to a remote spot.

How have others solved this problem?

Thanks and many photos!

-K

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow