Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zim4321
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
Please help comparing a DX 17-55 2.8 to the FX 24-70 2.8
7 months ago

I have been on the edge of  taking the big upgrade plunge from a D90 to a D610.  I tried a 7100 for a week, loved the improved ISO performance, but other then seeing a lot more pixels when zooming and and editing in LR, my overall results in good light were not much better than I can achieve with my D90

One of the biggest concerns is, will I be equally happy with the results from the 24-70 as I have been with the 17-55.  Its long been my go to lens.  I have always been very happy with its sharpness, contrast and color rendition.

I mostly shoot family and my kids doing sports.  I use a 300 AF-S F4 for the sports, and the 17-55 for pretty much everything else.

This upgrade will be costly for me since I would want to buy both the D610 and the 24-70 together.  We have a big family trip coming up in spring and this combo would be the only thing I bring, would be used for site seeing, an important birthday etc.

I understand I will loose some reach with the 300, but in a few years I would like to add the new 80-400G when my daughter goes from the small soccer field to the full sized.

I am interested in upgrading to FF for better detail and smaller DOF for shooting family and friends.  Between the increase in ISO performance and the fast lens, I feel comfortable shooting indoors without flash.

I welcome all comments and experiences, especially from those of you who have used both of these lenses, or took this upgrade path.

Best,

zim4321's gear list:zim4321's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +6 more
Nikon D610 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow