Another Olympus E-M1 and SONY a7 walkabout test, high ISO

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Stu 5
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,265
Like?
Re: So what's the consenses between the E-M1 vs A7 regarding noise in stops?
In reply to blue_skies, 6 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

Lab D wrote:

skyglider wrote:

There's been a lot of data posted in this thread. But I'm still left wondering. Which camera system will produce better looking images with less noise in low light situations like an indoor wedding at a dimly lit church (no flash allowed)?

1. Micro 4/3: OMD E-M1 with the 12-40mm, F2.8 Pro lens?
  2. Full Frame: Alpha 7 with the kit 24-70mm F3.5 - F5.6 OSS lens?

Sky

Sony has a 28-70 f3.5-5.6 lens and an expensive 24-70 f4 lens.

The 28-70 is a poor kit lens. The other is much better.

What does "poor" mean in this context?

Have you used it? Have you read the reviews?

It gets high remarks for a kit lens.

Hardly anyone gives high marks in reviews. One of the worst kit lenses out there. It is fine on the long end but poor on wide end and gets worse on the wide end when closed down. Also has poor quality control. Quite a lot (for a lens) get returned for 2nd or 3rd copies due to the fact when not being used some of the elements including I.S. group are floating. When used these faulty elements do not centralise correctly causing blurring on the edges and the lens sometimes not engaging I.S correctly which shows on the far right hand edge from.

24-70 still needs to be proved if it is good. First photos I saw from it showed blurring again on the wide end on the edges. Hopefully this is a one off poor sample and not a poor design.

The Olympus is a stop faster, has a wider range and makes a great close up lens.

Yes, but it is a f/5.6 lens in FF equivalent terms. That is the slow end of the 'poor' kit lens (hint - it is not that poor).

So, what is the answer to Sky's question?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow