[Questions] GM1: Build quality, Importing, Body or Kit?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nippero
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
[Questions] GM1: Build quality, Importing, Body or Kit?
8 months ago

Hi there,

So after my last thread, asking for advice on ultra compacts to go with my 5D, I'm pretty set on spending more for the GM1 rather than getting the GX1 or E-PM series.

However, I do have a few questions.

1. I know the build quality is really good, but I'm curious about the material that the camera is wrapped in. Does it wrap all the way around from the front to the back? I cant tell from pictures whether or not the back of the camera has that same faux leather look/feel.
  2. What do I lose by importing the GM1 from Asia? I'm tempted to get the white model, but the prices for GM1s from Asia seem to be around $50 cheaper over all anyway. Do I lose warranty? Are the menus permanently in a foreign language?
  3. At first I was set on just finding and buying a Body to use with my 20/1.7 but now I've become curious about the kit lens. I'm used to limiting myself to below ISO 1600 due to my current cameras (5Dc and G1) so I always needed the faster f/1.7 aperture. But will I really miss it now if I go for the GM1 + Kit lens? This is assuming I don't care about shallow depth of field.
  4. (Opinions) Which color do you guys like the most and why? I'm currently leaning towards Silver/Black since it seems to go well with lenses of any color without looking too plain. I like the orange but it seems too bright in some pictures + I feel like the back of the camera in all orange looks really bad.

Thanks guys

Nippero's gear list:Nippero's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow