Price disparity in DX and FX 35mm F1.8 Lenses ?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrew Ellis
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?
Price disparity in DX and FX 35mm F1.8 Lenses ?
11 months ago

Whilst I'm sure the new FX 35mm F1.8 AFS lens is going to be a cracker, I have to admit to being a little dismayed at the launch price.

Here in the UK at least, it listing at £469.00 ($770), where as the DX version is only £145 ($238). I know the price will ultimately settle down a little on the new lens once the initial supply and demand situation has finished, but it's currently over 3 times the price.

I know that a FX version is bigger to cover the increased image circle, but looking at the specs of both lenses, whilst the FX has one ED element and one Aspherical element, the DX has only an Aspherical element - surely that doesn't account for 3 times the price ?

I mean it's not as if the new FX lens has VR or nano Coating or any of that fancy stuff, so can someone explain to me why it's so expensive please ? It's very close in price to Sigma's stunning 35mm F1.4 Art Lens and in my mind makes the Nikon offering uncompetitive ?

-- hide signature --

Lets make pictures, not war........

Andrew Ellis's gear list:Andrew Ellis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 +12 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow