Another Olympus E-M1 and SONY a7 walkabout test, high ISO

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Fred Mueller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,346Gear list
Like?
"But if you shoot at high ISO - a larger sensor is your friend."
In reply to blue_skies, 8 months ago

if you can tolerate extremely shallow DOF!  And FF primes that are often optically poor at maximum aperture ...

this is the thing you notice right away with the very best m4/3 primes - they are really sharp wide open and have "useful" amounts of DOF isolation ... (and cost half as much)

You need to spend some time with the Panasonic 25mm 1.4 on a Oly OM-D body shooting in "low" light.  I can shoot an E-M1 at iso 1600 in most dim interiors and get enough shutter speed and that lens is very sharp at 1.4 while and giving f/4.0 FF like DOF character, which is where I prefer to shoot 50mm on FF both for sharpness and overall DOF character.  But that means my D600 has got to be at iso 6400 in the same light.  Couple that with very fast contrast detect AF and I really don't spot my D600 having much over the E-M1 at all - that is just the way it is.

Full frame gets sold on the magic of the very narrow DOF "look", but in practice, that look is an outlier most of the time.

Fred Mueller's gear list:Fred Mueller's gear list
Nikon D600
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow