Lens to pair w/D7100 on safari, and second camera recs?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RadioFlyer
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Lens to pair w/D7100 on safari, and second camera recs?
11 months ago

About 2 months ago I popped for a D7100 body. Now to buy a lens to go w/it. I was waiting to see if the price on the 80-400 f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S would decrease around the holidays but no such luck, so it's time to pony up so this DSLR newbie can get plenty of practice before embarking on a late May safari to India.

In the meantime, I've been tempted by the 70-200 f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S but am concerned over not having enough reach. I am not an ardent birder but love the challenge of shooting birds as it improves my overall picture taking.

Thoughts on which lens I should get?

Either zoom will make close in shots tough, so I'm considering the following options as options for those shots:

1. Bring the Fuji HX10 bridge camera I already own

2. Use my Sony XR500 video camera to take stills (stills grabbed while shooting video are good; stills not taken during video suck).

3. Get a D7000 body w/an appropriate lens. While costlier than the other 2 options, I like the camera similarities/redundancy. Zoom redundancy would need to be provided by the XR500 shooting stills.

Thoughts on what route to take to handle non-zoom shooting?

Many thanks. I have learned a ton reading through various forums on this site.

RadioFlyer's gear list:RadioFlyer's gear list
Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow