Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,491Gear list
Like?
D600 Beyond the Oil Issue
8 months ago

The Nikon D600 has gotten a bad rap in this form. There has been a frenzy of complaints about oil spots on the sensor. My opinion is that the oil splattering onto the sensor is probably caused by careless assemblers rather than a bad design. My opinion, if it was a bad design, then we should all see oil on the sensor, and that is not the case. Well, after being on the sideline for a long time, I took a chance and bought a D600 for $1400, something I was willing to do to to take the burden off my D3s in shooting high school sports for the 8th years now, in high ISO, 3200-6400. To my surprise, after experiencing over 8000 shutter activations, there is no oil on the sensor. I am in love with this camera. Here are examples from yesterday's freshmen soccer game (not the best in quality play) shot at ISO 3200 and 6400 using the AF-S 400mm f2.8 VR lens.  The photos were shot in M size (to reduce processing time) and highly cropped.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Nikon D3S Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow