X-T1 looks mighty interesting, what do you think?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,142Gear list
Like?
Re: X-T1 looks mighty interesting, what do you think?
In reply to Pixnat2, 6 months ago

Pixnat2 wrote:

Aethon wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

To each is own : for me, those faux controls dials are unpractical and have no sense.

They were necessary in mecanically controlled cameras, but were abandonned long ago for better ergonomics.

The are just reborn because of "Retro Hype" and cool factor.

There's nothing "faux" about the control dials - they work!

I hope they do work! "Faux" is used in the sense that they mimic mechanical cameras controls from the past.

You do realize that the Fuji offers the dedicated dials in addition to customized wheels and buttons, right? That seems far more ergonomic and intuitive to me.

I do realize that those dedicated control dials were abandonned in the 80's, when electronics appeared in cameras. Designers found a much faster and comfrotable way to adjust all important settings at eye level with only one or two dials. That was a real progress in camera ergonomics.

Now, most manufacturers try to romantize some of their camera giving them a real retro look. Some, like Panasonic and Olympus, are doing it right in keeping the best of both world : a retro look with modern controls. Others, like Nikon and Fujii, are going too far IMHO : a retro look with retro controls.

I make a bet with you : those retro controls will not become a mainstream trend.

Otherwise, it would mean cameras designers have done wrong for more than 30 years!

-- hide signature --

Those retro control make finding and selecting options quick and easy, not buried and cumbersome to use.  I have used many modern designed cameras without them and prefer those retro dials.  Why search or have to remember a buried function when it can be front of you.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow