Do You Use the Neck Strap?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,301Gear list
Like?
Neck strap: never
In reply to IGotShot, 11 months ago

IGotShot wrote:

Do you guys use the neck strap that came with the camera?

To me it's always a pain in the ass but saves the camera from being dropped. Also, having a strap seems touristy

Hi IGotShot,

I never use the neck strap.  I left it in the box.  Various reasons:

- I don't like to carry a camera that way.  Gets in the way, bounces around, can get caught in things, might even hurt the neck

- looks touristy

- I don't see why I should give Nikon free advertising carrying their name on a neck strap.  I might do it if they paid me perhaps.

So what do I do?  I use a wrist strap.  Not even a special expensive camera wrist strap, but replacement wrist straps for game controllers  They are quite solid enough to hold a dropped Nikon D7000 with 18-200 zoom (total weight about 1.5 kilos / 3 pounds).

The downside is that I might have to put the camera in a backpack when not in use, which means that when a photo opportunity arrives I have to drop the backpack and take the camera out and this is quite bothersome.  But if I had the camera on a neck strap if would be too inconvenient or even dangerous so even worse.

So what do I do?  The DSLR ends up staying at home a lot when I do interesting activities - instead I have a smaller camera, with lesser IQ unfortunately, carried in a tiny hip pocket.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow