Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,776Gear list
Like?
E-PL5 plus 12-40/2.8, I'm in love.
8 months ago

Day out in Sydney to get that dodgy eye re-examined (all good so far) and took the E-PL5 plus 12-40 to have my first real play out and about.

Nothing worth showing as mainly testing how things work.

The LCD touch shoot is just fabulous, shoot anything at any time without anybody really taking much notice. OK it's a chunky lens but on the E-PL5 (a silver one) nobody seemed to take any notice of me, plenty of candid shots while sitting outside having a coffee break. No permissions sought so not going to publish them here, even though they were just random street photos. Instant action, no hunting, no delays whatsoever.

That close focus allows some interesting shots, my usual centre focus only and re-frame is boring and slow, the touch the screen anywhere is way faster as the framing can be held all the time and just shoot when the crowd or the subject needed is in the right place, or just focus on my wife's coffee cup right next to me and blur out the scene, no fuss, no delays.

Having the touch focus set to 14x makes it more reliable, use Magnify - Info to change that.

Kit lenses with small apertures, bye bye. The 12-40/2.8 lens has transformed the way I use the E-PL5, a perfect match. Totally magic.

Plus of course the extra mass seems to enable me to shoot shake-free at slower speeds when needed, that suits me as I don't like using stabilisation if I can avoid it.

Oh what the heck, here's one of the nothing shots, reduced to 1024 wide. At f/4.0 to deliberately blur the flowers. But then, the lens is usually kept at f/4.0 so that was easy.

View in Martin Place, Sydney.

Opinion - viewfinders are boring, old fashioned and generally sucky, LCDs rule - OK?

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow