Our (photographers) taste in photos vs the general public

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,270Gear list
Like?
Re: Our (photographers) taste in photos vs the general public
In reply to gbshooter, 7 months ago

gbshooter wrote:

I find it very ironic that one of the first posters mentioned this forum being about gear and not looking at photographs. So much for that idea.

I have always believed that there are quite a few people who use m43 gear that want to discuss photography.

I have had experience as a photographer and photo editor at a newspaper. I have seen the industry change exponentially over the years due to digital photography. Take a few words of advice and much of the constructive criticism that really good photographers have given you on this post.

Thanks for letting me know your experience.

I reviewed your winter gallery. You know what the common element is besides winter? Well, you are just pointing the camera. You need to experiment more. Your angle of view never changes. I can't speak to your outtakes, but from what I see you need to spice it up a little.

Thanks for this. I actually tried to do that this past Friday evening. I posted "experiment" shots in the "This Week Through YOUR m4/3" thread and my posts just kind of laid there. I will keep at it though.

When I started this in 1975, I hardly ever thought i needed to take more that one photo. It was going to be great every time. I think you may be there and you need to get beyond that.

That is definitely not a problem for me. I throw out many hundreds of shots for every one that I share. I often take shots knowing that I will never use them but just want to prepare myself for a similar shot with better subject matter in my future.

- Work a little with crop. The barn has potential. It was obvious to a few on here who cropped in from the left. I would have taken that left two trees out to focus the interest.

Have you seen the improved version that Michael Jardine helped me with. There certainly seems to be consensus on how that barn photo can be improved.

- If you are frustrated with your take, leave it for a week or two and come back to it. You would be surprised how removing yourself from the immediacy of your take can help YOU take a more objective view of your photos.

I also wonder how many keepers are floating around on my hard drive waiting for my post processing skills to improve.

Don't take any of this in a mean or derogatory way. If your goal is to make some money at this, do some self publishing or try some stock agencies.

I wouldn't call it a hope, more of a dream. I want to have fun with this. If that happens down the road, great. I'm not really thinking about it at the moment, however.

The thing that will make your point of view different and add that WOW to your images. But it takes time and lots of BAD photographs.

Trust me. I am taking a lot of bad photos that none of you will ever see.

Now get out and shoot and good luck to you.

I would have been out the last two nights if it hadn't been for the cold rain.

Thanks for offering your advice.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow