Sony where are your fast zoom lenses?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
hip2
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony where are your fast zoom lenses?
In reply to Lumixdude, 6 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

Given enough time and practice I could probably outgrow most things... I started out way back as a 14 year old kid a long time ago now. My dad gave me the training wheels in how to use Photoshop, I learned that inside and out within a year or two, until a couple years ago I had no idea of how to read light or adjust camera settings, I've out grown one of the better Panaleica cameras on the market with an excellent lens. There's really nothing left for me that I can "recover" or "fix" in post processing.

There's nothing technically flawed in my shooting, understanding a shot, or framing that I can learn about without getting a better camera at this point... The photos I produce will always be what they are because of the camera and not because of what I know/don't know at this point. There is also not much I can learn about depth of field at this point with a camera that really doesn't have any until you're 1 inch from a persons face...

That's what I also hate about being stuck with one lens. Buying a single lens means I get to the point where I am right now, just with a different camera and I haven't gained anything, just another trip sideways, not forwards.

It means buying a new body and not having lenses to go with a new body when I upgrade. It is now time I think to start investing in lenses rather than throwing away money going from one fixed lens camera to the next.

actually, with a compact, it's not that you don't have any, it's that you have too much depth of field...

if you want to effectively play with shallow depth of field like many of us here, then you will need *at least* APS-C and very fast lens.

the RX10 has a very fast lens, and you cover most of the usage that you might want, in a smallish package. having that kind of camera around is not a waste at all, believe me.

if you really want to start the very long journey of photography as a hobby, a passion even, with a mirrorless (or you should have posted this in the DSLR forums) you might want to consider the A7 and the A7R. impressive IQ in a small body, shallow depth of field that goes with full frame, and, with the adapters, you get to use almost every lens on the market at their expected focal length.

it has its flaws, but you will get to learn lots of things. fun times !

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

hip2's gear list:hip2's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +44 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
OKNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow