Our (photographers) taste in photos vs the general public

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Jim N'AZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,233
Like?
To Florida and brick33308
In reply to brick33308, 11 months ago

Yes, I fully agree with your post, brick. Well said.

Due to the volume generated on/in this thread, I will be brief.

The term "analysis paralysis" has come to mind over and over when reading the OP postings. There was a post further up the thread by NewGirlLiz http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53013194 that summed it up quite well too.

Florida comes back time after time asking for advice on the same images, albeit reworked in some way, but he has become so repetitive that I understand his confusion with all the varying opinions flooding in concerning his multiple images posted. His addendum is always marked with "how else am I going to learn?" Methinks, Florida, it is time to sink or swim, but strike out on your own, or you will be chasing your tail forever, photographically speaking, that is

My advice to him would be to back off seeking everyone's opinion upon opinion concerning each jot and tittle and reset his outlook more toward what pleases him, what hits his "wow" button, regardless what we gear heads opine here on dpr. Until he can shoot for his pleasure with some success (because he has no client directing what the final image must be/do) he will forever be mired down trying to please everyone and that is, as we all know, an exercise in futility....

Florida, escape this ANALYSIS PARALYSIS while you can!

Regards, Jim

brick33308 wrote:

I have resisted sharing my thoughts on these images because, given our recent exchange, I didn't want you to assume I was influenced by that exchange or even worse carrying any kind of grudge.

However you've received a sufficient number of criticisms so perhaps mine will be received in the constructive spirit I offer it.

Are these horrible photos? No they are not. But is there anything at all special about them? Likewise no there is not. To me they seem like snapshots that people who don't consider themselves photographers (whether pro or, like me, serious amateur) would snap were a point and shoot thrust into their hands.

As a real photographer (and that is what I think you are judging from some of your other work I've seen) I would expect you would want to put up for display on a forum for and by photographers work that if not your best is nonetheless work that you are truly proud of. And I wonder if that's how you truly feel about these images. If not, then this thread comes across somewhat needy - desperate for attention. Again, it's not my intent to be rude or inappropriate, but rather to give my honest opinion which you clearly asked for by putting your photos on the forum for the second time with a repackaged request for people to look at them and interact with you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow