Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ZionImage
Regular MemberPosts: 293
Like?
Is my D800 really still have an AF problem after AF Tuning? See photo
11 months ago

I used DotTune with Bob Akin's target (previously recommended by Horshack at his video) and Focus Pyramid to AF tuned my D800 with Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 AF-S G ED.

With both methods at 70 mm end, the results concluded to be same AF tune value of 0. I have been seeing some mis-focus issue with different images. My subjects are usually kids and could move at any moment. So I just counted as bad luck or call that as some kind of photographer error even though I highly doubt that was really the issue. But after all, kids could be hard to predict and control right?

But then last weekend, I did another shoot and got mis-focus photos again. Here is one example. I was standing like 13 ft away from this couple shooting at 60mm with 1/125 and f 3.5. The couple were standing perfectly still. And I posed them in a way that their faces are pretty much on the same plane. With this setting, there should be ~2.5 ft DOF. So, I focused on her left eye which is kind of mid point between her face and his. I shot at chest level to minimize camera tilt. With 2x of focal length, camera shake shouldn't be an issue. But the photo showed that her face and his shirt are in focus but his face is not. What is going on there? Am I crazy to think that my D800 has some focusing issue?

-- hide signature --

Just trying to improve my draft one image at a time
You could check our more of my photos at http://www.joshuaphotographystudio.com

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow