What camera for $400-$450? Have Nikon D5100 and Canon T3i, any others?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,039Gear list
Like?
Re: What camera for $400-$450? Have Nikon D5100 and Canon T3i, any others?
In reply to KCook, 8 months ago

KCook wrote:

Which is why I posted that this depends on precisely how you define IQ. If IQ is defined as the lowest possible noise vs intrinsic sharpness, then yes, the big sensor wins (oh duh). But that is a pixel peeper game. Many casual shooters are happy with nice color, contrast, and apparent sharpness. Which are largely independent of sensor size. So far, from the flavor of the posts by the OP, I'm not persuaded that he is a pixel peeper.

Kelly

This still makes no sense, because color, contrast, and local contrast (sharpness) can all be manipulated in PP. This is like people who claim a certain camera has "better" color than another. Color is completely controllable in post, and even low contrast lenses can be corrected in post. Im not picking on you, but im saying IQ is IQ, and there's only two sources: The lens, and the sensor. The lens is the weak link because you can't actually make a photo sharper in post, you can only increase contrast. Most people define IQ by one criteria. The more light you get, the better the signal will be, assuming all other factors are equal.

The RX100 is a nice camera, but it will never match the IQ of a camera with the same F stop and a larger sensor, no matter how much PP you do.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow