Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
Re: K30 fried after using in rain
In reply to brecklundin, 9 months ago

brecklundin wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

I copied this from another thread just to let you all know the outcome:

"Hello, I received a new K30 body today free of charge!

Pentax said they couldn't fix the fluid damage in the old one.

So cheers to Pentax and Johnsons Photopia (Pentax Sevice UK).

Does this deserve a new thread?

I did think of maybe selling this new unused and getting a K5II as I'll be frightened to use it again in the rain."

I would say consider it...and maybe make that the K5IIs instead. It will have the odd shot with some moire but the added detail looks to be well worth that potentiality.

Should you sell it I would explain the whole thing about time remaining on warranty, if they can be xfer'd on your side of the pond. I was also going to see if you are allowed to buy that extra 2-yr extended warranty Pentax sells here in the US. We have to buy it in the first 30-days (I think it's 30-days?) and it adds 2-yrs additional to ouor 1-yr warranty. Given the situation maybe they can make an exception for you or maybe you can still extended simply because you are w/i the 2-yr EU warranty period? Assuming that the UK falls w/i that part of the EU agreements, I know it's an odd relationship between the UK & EU, sometimes it matters other times no...

But your idea is not a bad one if you can swing a K5 out of the deal.

No matter congrats on handling it smoothly and just letting it happen as it should. And for kicking sand in the face of all those "jail house lawyers" claiming this and that about the wording wrt water damage v. WR...blah-blah-blah...so nice job!

Thanks,

I don't know what to do, the K5 IIs idea is only an inkling and I usually quell those things that cost a lot of money for a slightly better product. I'm just really worried about the WR although the same thing could happen to a K5 II I suppose.

I also really liked the focus peaking facility for macro work in the K30. I don't use it for 'normal' photography whatsoever. The K5 II doesn't have this.

I have also gotten into film big time and enjoy this more than anything. I bought a full darkroom, 2 enlargers, 2 Nova print processors etc. if you get the idea.

Maybe the K30 is good enough for my digital side as my more serious work is with film and I also have the ability to print enlargements. I think I should maybe just keep the K30 and maybe buy a German equatorial mount or something instead for astrophotography. Although I also quite fancy a Pentax 645 or 67 camera! I could have one of these with 1 or possibly 2 lenses for the price of a marginal gain of the K5 II.

I really like the full frame you see as I mostly do landscaping work.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover
Anarcho-primitivist and avid anti-technology advocate

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow