Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brycesteiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,278Gear list
Like?
Time for DPReview Update E-M5 Review
6 months ago

I have been using the E-M5 after the 2.0 firmware update and I am impressed!

There are two new stated features found in the new E-M1 and E-M10 added now to the E-M5 even though it's been out for nearly two years.ISO 100 and
Small focus point

I think the biggest improvement is unnamed in the announcement: the new focusing system that came with this software update.

The C-AF and C-AF with tracking are greatly improved. It actually is useable as never before. I've tried using it even up to last week and it was just unusable in sports. I tried it tonight after the 2.0 update and now both work much much better! It seems to be on par with the E-M1. 4/3 lenses are still not working quickly and that was to be expected since E-M5 doesn't have phase detect. It may be a little slower.

It focuses different now with the 4/3 lenses. It focuses quickly like it could lock, then it pulls back and eases in slowly forward. Before it just kind of jittered in focus.

The faux focus peaking does work surprisingly well that you can find in the forum here.

It would be nice to have an E-M1 for the older lenses, but I may look for another E-m5 as my backup camera now!

-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

brycesteiner's gear list:brycesteiner's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +5 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow