In reply to viking79, 6 months ago

viking79 wrote:

captura wrote:

Petroglyph wrote:

MrT-Man wrote:

viking79 wrote:

leo9 wrote:

The 50mm E f1.8 OSS isn't far behind either on NEX-7:

About 15% (probably noticeable), but I wouldn't buy the ZEISS only for APS-C, the point is it covers full frame

Eric

Actually I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the 55mm FE for use on the NEX-7. The SEL50F18 is unquestionably a good lens and I'm not looking for more sharpness. I'm looking for better color/contrast, as I find the 50mm is a little lacking when I compare it to my Zeiss lenses. I'm not convinced that DXOMark scores adequately capture this metric.

Do you use the OSS on the SEL50 much? I'm hoping the 85mm FE will have OSS and have high hopes for the 24-70mm FE (I know it has OSS already). The 55mm is great on the FF cams no argument here.

As good or better a lens would be the Canon EF 85mm f1.8 IS, at about half the price. Smart adapters work very well with this for either NEX or A7.

At this focal length you won't see much size savings 85mm with adapter vs native 85mm, but depends on how they design the native lens as to how seamless it is with the camera. My guess is I am going to think the much faster AF on the native 85mm would win me over. I hope they make the 85mm design a fast focusing one, it could really help distinguish it.

I still have hopes Sigma makes some affordable f/2.8 primes, like their APS-C 19, 30, and 60. Say 28mm, 50mm, and 85mm f/2.8, for around $400 or less each

Eric

Sounds OK with me, Eric.

I don't mind manual focusing Eric and I can remember how easy it was 'way back with the spit screen; all you needed to do was line it up.

I may get the Canon 85 for my Rebel T1i.500D then just a manual non-AF adapter for my 5R. That would be a lot cheaper.

These days lots of cameras are faster focusing than Sony's. Especially the M43's and some of the newer Canikons. What I do really appreciate is the ACCURACY of my PDAF-assisted NEX-5R focusing.

Nikon 1 may be the best AF but they're going nowhere in sales.

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow