What camera for $400-$450? Have Nikon D5100 and Canon T3i, any others?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
KCook
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,453Gear list
Like?
Re: What camera for $400-$450? Have Nikon D5100 and Canon T3i, any others?
In reply to Ontario Gone, 8 months ago

Ontario Gone wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

KCook wrote:

Depends on precisely how you define image quality of course. The Sony RX100 II is widely recommended, and others are quite good. Frankly advanced processing tools such as Adobe's Lightroom will result in a greater gain in IQ than any fancy camera. But that will not be an automatic gain, takes a little learning and practice.

Kelly

Sorry but the 1" sensor does not come close.

I completely disagree with cook here. Sensors are almost entirely the same when it comes to PP. You have two directions to go, you can reduce noise and cause smearing, or you can increase sharpening and also increase noise. There is no magic sensor that allows an improvement in PP that another sensor cannot do. It is all software manipulation of pixels, and anything that can be done to the RX100 can be done to another. Typically, if you want better IQ you either need a larger sensor, or you need faster lenses to allow lower ISO.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Which is why I posted that this depends on precisely how you define IQ.  If IQ is defined as the lowest possible noise vs intrinsic sharpness, then yes, the big sensor wins (oh duh).  But that is a pixel peeper game.  Many casual shooters are happy with nice color, contrast, and apparent sharpness.  Which are largely independent of sensor size.  So far, from the flavor of the posts by the OP, I'm not persuaded that he is a pixel peeper.

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-PL2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow