Sigma 50-500mm lenses differences

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Lanidrac
Senior MemberPosts: 2,759
Like?
Re: Sigma 50-500mm lenses differences
In reply to shadyyx, 9 months ago

shadyyx wrote:

When searching on the internet (mostly eBay) I stumbled upon these markings of Sigma 50-500mm:

• 50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX DG HSM
  • 50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX APO HSM
  • 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

As You can see, the first two should be of the EX family (and You can see images where the lens really has this EX golden ring as well as eBay pictures of the lens's accessories declaring an original box stating it's really an EX lens) while not having the image stabilization (missing OS marking). The latter one is not of the EX family while has OS.

Now according to the original Sigma homepage, section (telephoto) lenses, they only have the latter lense.

Now I am really confused as I am often watching such eBay items and more times I saw those EX lenses (and I am convinced they are true because the signs explained above). My question is - is this (are those) EX one(s) some older model now replaced by the non-EX one?

When buying - should I'd be looking rather for those better built (but maybe older) EX ones or the non-EX (but maybe newer) Bigma?

I've got the original version. No 'DG' and no 'OS'. Some say I should get the latest version... the one with OS and DG.

Talk about dating myself...a CP990 pic of a 300D and Bigma

Its a good weight lifting exercise when the Bigma is loaded onto a 7D w/grip. You don't need OS with that kind of bulk.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow