Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Mr Sincere
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
Re: Some real world examples of shutter shock, and other random thoughts.
In reply to skyglider, 8 months ago

Mr. Sincere,

Thanks for posting your latest pictures. The comparison of the zoomed shutter shock image to what the original image looks like with short release lag-time enabled is very much appreciated.

You're welcome!  I hoped they could be of use to someone.

Since you're experiencing shutter shock even with short release lag-time enabled, I've decided not to buy "any" camera that uses a mechanical shutter that doesn't have electronic first curtain shutter as an option. It's just not worth it to me to have to keep buying and returning bodies and/or lenses to find good copies, or to have to hold the camera in a certain way to "hope" that SS doesn't happen, or live with a certain percentage of SS problems.

I hear you.  In thinking about this later, I found myself wishing I'd grabbed my LX7 instead of my E-P5 when I took the sunrise photos.  And then I realized there's something very wrong when you feel like you can depend on your $250 camera more than your $700 camera.

That said, I think I'll probably still roll the dice on another Olympus, but this time from somewhere with a hassle free return policy.  There seems to be a bit of consensus that my EP5 is worse than is typical, based on the samples I've shared here.

What can I say... I just have a soft spot for Olympus cameras.  I love their design, build and ergonomics.

Good luck on your own search for your next camera.  

Mr Sincere's gear list:Mr Sincere's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 G1 X II Nikon D90 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow