Another should I upgrade thread. Serious situation.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jaaaames
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Another should I upgrade thread. Serious situation.
6 months ago

Hello all. I hate to post another thread about upgrading, but I'm seriously lost in terms of what I should do. I know each photographer has different needs and there is no solid answer but I would like some outside advise before my next purchase.

First, I have been shooting digital for about three years now. I own a F3 which I used for years before transistioning to digital. I bought a D5100 as a starting point to get accustomed to the digital format. I have quickly out grown it and it doesn't have many features I am looking for. Mainly flash commander and a built in af motor. I am interested in possibly getting a D7100 but I know there could be a new model coming out shortly. I am on the fence about taking the plunge into full frame. I have a decent selection of lenses but not many will transfer over to FF. I currently own the 18-55mm kit lens, the 55-200mm kit lens, 10-24mm f/3.5, 35mm 1.8 dx, and 50mm 1.8 dx. For my F3 I have the 50mm 1.8 and the 70-210 f/4. So, not much will transfer over. For what it's worth I would be keeping the 5100 as my back up so if I do go FF I'm not going to lose those lenses.

So my question really is, is the 5100 worth holding on to until Nikon makes their next DX announcement and get better glass like the 24-70 2.8, or get the 7100 with the features I'm looking for, or just make the jumpt to FF? Are there any other options I should be looking at?  I don't really shoot sports or wildlife, although given the opportunity I will. Mainly, I shoot landscape, street, indoor events and portraits.

Attached is a few examples of my work, I'm open to C&C as well, it's always nice to get some feedback and opinions.

Thanks so much for any help, buying a camera is worse than buying a new car, I swear.

Thanks again,

James

Nikon D5100 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow