Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Beat Traveller
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
Re: My conundrum w/ EM1 / X-T1
In reply to southwest aero, 6 months ago

southwest aero wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice yet again....I've recently purchased an EM-1 to replace my FF Nikon for aerial and travel photography. I've received it along with the 12-40 pro lens and am super impressed with build quality and handling. I have yet to have an opportunity to test image quality.

Now that the X-t1 is out, it's awfully tempting. In my situation, I can still return the EM-1 to amazon as I haven't really used it.

My question is - Is the expected IQ of the fuji significantly better than the EM-1 ? Most of my photos are aerials with ultralight aircraft, so the biggest drawback in leaving the EM-1 for fuji is loosing the IBIS. However, I'm leaning towards doing so in order to get that slightly larger sensor and better IQ.

I doubt it's significantly better. There are some minor distinctions in terms of how they handle noise, moire, DR, base resolution etc, but you won't gain a huge amount.

What's more important is having good glass to match the sensor. By all accounts your 12-40 is a fantastic lens, and until the 16-55 launches there won't be a Fuji equivalent (the 18-55 is a very good kit lens but not quite a pro build). The 14mm would be good, but I'd also consider that you currently have weather sealing with that combo, which might be really helpful in aerial conditions. Again, you'll have to wait for the 16-55 for weather sealing.

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow