Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GordonWilson
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Why no comapct camera with RAW?
10 months ago

Why can I not buy a small "travel zoom" camera with 20x or more optical zoom and the ability to capture images in RAW format?

I am a 58 year old British bloke who first got interested in photography as an 8-year old.  I owned my first SLR (that I had personally worked to pay for) by the time I was 13.  I successfully completed a 3-year British degree course - B.A. (Hons) in Photography - in the late 1970s.  I then spent 20+ years as a professional photographer using top end Hasselblad and Nikon cameras before my career took me in a slightly different direction.
These days I have been able to return to photography as a hobby and currently own a Sony HX9V.  Prior to that I had a Panasonic TZ7 and both of these cameras have been rewarding.....  except the image-crunching algorithms that insist on turning every picture into a jpeg - sometimes horribly compressed.

I do not want a camera kit that is the size of the Nikon F2 kit (2 bodies and 8 lenses) that I used to lug about professionally and would be the same for today's DSLR cameras.

I would really, really like a camera that is the size of the TZ7 or the HX9V that fits in my pocket in a pouch with a spare battery and a couple of spare SD cards that has a 20x optical zoom lens (or even a 30x such as the most recent Sony HX50V) but that records images in their natural RAW format so that I can adjust them later myself in Photoshop rather than the camera "mangling" my images.

Please, PLEASE manufacturers - will one of you produce a proper compact camera (HX50V size) with a 20x to 30x optical zoom AND the ability to capture images in RAW format?

Is this too much to ask?

Ladies and gentlemen who read this forum - please respond with your comments!!!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (Lumix DMC-TZ7) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow