Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
minniev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,300
Like?
Re: Old pier at low tide
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 6 months ago

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Hi all

This is my first time posting and I'm very much a newbie to doing anything other than pointing and shooting.

This pic was taken this morning. It's an old pier in the town where I live which is only visible on a very low tide. I haven't done anything to the photo other than crop it slightly, as I have not yet got as far as learning anything about post processing! I didn't have a tripod as I was out walking the dog, so had my hands quite full - but did the best I could under the conditions.

Look forward to any comments. Thanks,

Liz

Welcome Liz, I'm so excited to have you on board- I seldom see another female photographer here! The folks on this forum are honest and direct but never in a mean way, and they'll always help you if you need it. There's a lot of good photographers here who also happen to be good people.

People have already given you great feedback and suggestions so I'll try not to rehash. You've got a good eye for color and elements, just be patient with yourself while you develop some of the more complicated skills of composition - what to put where, what to leave out and keep in, where to have your camera - it's an ongoing journey that you never get through with. Andrew pepped up the colors very nicely, but if you really like a blue version, your could keep it - just straighten it and do a bit of processing to make it look its best. You have all your dynamic range well captured so there's a lot of looks you could get from this with just Lightroom (that's a great starting place for any beginning photographer because it has powerful processing, is easy to learn, and you can manage your photo catalog and printing with it.). I bet you can get endless compositions at this same location; old piers are such great subjects. Some you might have to wade out in the surf for, but it'll be worth it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow