Em-1 Noise in Low ISO, Low light shots.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
knickerhawk
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,354
Like?
Re: I looked...
In reply to Gianluca Grossi, 10 months ago

Gianluca Grossi wrote:

My intent was to show how can PN can handle noise. I know that the Highlight are overexposed but IU just push the exposure by 2 stop without recover the highlight.
Probably we see things in different way but to my eyes PN easily win..

You pushed two stops to better show the strengths of PN with respect to noise handling. Fair enough...but only as long as you are willing to consider the other implications of a two-stop adjustment as well. Otherwise, the demonstration of purported improvements in noise is useless. Noise suppression, sharpening, moire, contrast, color, etc. all interact.  Change one and you're very likely to affect the others (and often in a detrimental way).

And just as you could have tweaked PN to reduce some of the problems I pointed out to you, I'm confident I could have tweaked the LR version to reduce the luminance noise it displayed. It cuts both ways and ultimately involves a careful balancing of trade-offs when selecting/using/adjusting raw processors and related tools.

I appreciate your efforts here. You've illustrated your argument with sample images. That's a lot more than most of us bother to do when we engage in our back-and-forth here!

Probably we see things in different way but to my eyes PN easily win..

Yes, I think that's a good way to wrap things up.  Unlikely either one of us is going to be swayed further.

Ciao

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow