Our (photographers) taste in photos vs the general public

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,523Gear list
Like?
Good Question...
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 11 months ago

If you show me an image I think: Compositon, Technique, Balance, Mass, Lights, Darks etc. and when I show the same images to a non-photographers they think: Who, What, Where and sometimes When. The will recognize good photos (from a photographer's point of view), but will dismiss them if the Who, Where, What, When aren't meaningful to them. For most, a photograph is just a record of a memory and a moment in time, nothing more. For e.g. if I show a beautiful street candid photograph to my wife, she'll say: blaaa, it's OK but it doesn't mean anyhing to me, I don't know these people ! That resumes pretty much what non-photographers think; does it mean something to them. That is why so many people take selfies in front of Tourist Attractions, to record a moment to be recalled in some future time. They seldom make good images, but do make good records of a memory. As a photographer, I think, why ruin a great photograph by sticking two faces in the middle, I know I whas there... I took it !

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow