Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joanel
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
possibly switching to Nikon 7100
11 months ago

I have been shooting with minolta/sony for years but not pleased with the direction they are heading. (no OVF).  I do like that sony cameras are stabilized allowing you to use any lens. I will miss this as I have a very good tamron 200-500 that I use a lot.

I shoot mostly nature, birds and some travel photos.  mostly hand held.

I also shoot mostly jpegs ( no comments please about why I should switch to raw). this camera model has been rated as pretty good for jpegs.

IF I switch I am curious if any of you shoot jpeg and birds and use the new 80-400 and how you have found it? results?  ( a bit heavy and expensive but 500's are too expensive and too heavy).

ANY one use the tamron 200-500 with it and hand hold? or not and how do you find it since not stablized?

Also the review (dp) mentions the need to use pretty good lenses with this camera.  (I currently use a 18-250 sony ( also tamron makes this lens).  how well does this work with it?  are pics sharp or soft?.

What other lenses with VR I assume,  do you recommend with this camera? other than a macro I tend to like zooms. and nothing too short.

since more pixels is it more necessary to use a tripod or can you hand hold?

Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

Joanel's gear list:Joanel's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow