Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jack Hass
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
SLT peaking vs NEX?
6 months ago

G'day mates, i had a question perhaps somebody with experience can answer. When it comes to peaking, im wondering about accuracy. I understand the amount of high contrast surface is actually larger in full view than when you use magnify, and can actually be larger in full view than what will turn up in the photo. Because of this it can be more accurate with magnify. But is this as bad with SLT as with NEX cameras?

As i understand it, NEX models always show the stopped down DOF, which gives no advantage like an SLT camera would. It would seem composing with peaking at F1.8 while actually shooting at F11 would in theory offer very accurate peaking location, but what if im actually shooting at F1.8? Will a full view peaking display still be accurate or will the magnify feature be needed to get it spot on?

Im envisioning things like a portrait shot, where i want the eyes in focus when shooting very wide apertures (or eyes in a macro shot). Can anybody vouch one way or another? I don't necessarily dislike using the magnify feature in tandem, but there will be times when i won't want to do both and magnify makes composition a bit harder. For example when i want to focus on a set of eyes that are not in center frame. Focus recompose may alter the focal plane, so not having to use magnify would really be nice.

Im just wondering how accurate it is without magnify while shooting wide open as opposed to shooting stopped down. Thanks in advance and feel free to offer any info.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow