Should lenses get more credit when it is due?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jackdan
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?
Should lenses get more credit when it is due?
3 months ago

When the K3 came out there were and still are photos posted showing the capability of the K3, but even when the lens is mentioned, the credit for the IQ seems (to me anyway) to be given to the camera. In a similar vein photos are often posted where the camera is or can be identified, but no mention is made of the lenses used.

The worst case is when cameras reviews and sample galleries do not reveal which lens was used. If the lens used to test a camera for a review is not of the highest quality, doesn't the test result for some tests reflect the quality of lens possibly even more than that of the camera? Most of the photos in the DPR sample gallery seem to have been taken with the 18-55mm kit lens, which makes me wonder what lens was used for the review.

It was not until I got a couple of limited primes and the FA 50mm, f1.4 that I learned just how much difference a good lens makes. In general I see more differences when I change lenses on one camera than I do when I change cameras on one lens. I am talking about cases where I can get a good exposure handheld at base ISO. Granted the differences are not always as significant when the lighting is ideal and the lenses are at their optimum apertures.

All this was leading to one simple request. Please tell what lenses were used when you post photos, and DPR I will be looking to see what lenses were used and why when you publish test results in your K3 review.

jackdan's gear list:jackdan's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S110 Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow