Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,930Gear list
Like?
Re: re: still about two weeks to go, and... PERHAPS we'll know
In reply to jpr2, 7 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

captura wrote:

And I am hoping it is the NEX- type rangefinder style.

same here, but... there are several possible caveats (remember, I'm waiting for N7 upgrade, not N6):

• that - despite the fact that APS-C sensor can perfectly cohabit with the LHC built-in OLED EVF - it will be humped !!

We'll have to see.  If the A7 is popular, Sony may consider that part of the popularity is the hump design.  It's clear that while some of us liked the rangefinder style, probably more people prefer the hump look that has been associated with quality SLR cameras for decades.

• that the so called N6/N7 replacement will go the N6 way = lots of plastic & little metal in the construction (just like in the a5000), reduced configurability again akin more to N6 than to N7;

I have lots of camera equipment with plastic as well as metal construction.  I can't really complain about the plastic in general, and the Nex-6 seems pretty sturdy to me.  The original Nex-5 does seem to weigh as much if not more!  No doubt that the metal construction is nice, but if it costs more, that is also a factor; given the choice, I think price matters to most people.  It just doesn't bother me on the Nex-6 in any event.

• and perhaps even a reduced cropability due to either to low-res sensor (more inline with N6, than N7), or OSPDAF eating lots of the 24 Mpx without compensating for PD sensels by increase in the sensor's resolution;

Has there been any info on how many pixels are "eaten up" by the OSPDAF, even on the existing cameras?

and last, but not least - the XT-1 has supposedly risen the bar of AF speed quite high.

How about accuracy?  Anyway, at that price, it's a non-starter for me, regardless of its capabilities.  Everyone raved about the Nikon 1 series -- if AF is the most important criteria, why not buy one of those cameras?  I think anything over $1000 is going to be a niche product.

Too little time till mid Feb for S. to respond to XT-1, so... either they already do have something truly good and amazing for OSPDAF, or... it is gonna to be yet another OSPDAF from S. failing to deliver

The AF on my Nex-6 is definitely better than that on my Nex-5.

jpr2

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow