Our (photographers) taste in photos vs the general public

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,707Gear list
Like?
my thoughts ...
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 8 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

When I got back from my Christmas holiday I started processing and posting the photos I took while I was gone. I received a lot of very helpful advice which caused me to reprocess numerous photos and rethink some of my "keepers".

Some of the photos that were not well received here I decided to share with family and friends etc. in my Winter Wonderful Land Flickr Slideshow (16 photos) anyway. In some cases you turned out to be right. However, the three photos shown below were very well received elsewhere in spite of the luke warm response they generated here.

I really like the slide show in general ... very nicely done. But these three images are definitely the dogs of the bunch.

The first two are slightly modified versions of my original post. The third I didn't change at all and it ended up as someone's desktop wallpaper at work.

In my continuing effort to learn, I wanted to generate some discussion on why and how photographers' taste in photos might be different from that of the general population.

I mean to address the issue generally and specifically with regard to the three photos below.

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts.

The following photo is busy and severely overexposed. The scene itself is nice, but the photo is not, if you get my drift. You family liked the scene and probably did not give a second thought to the technical issues. Enter it in a contest and you get slaughtered.

The following image is just dull. It needs contrast and saturation to be interesting at all.

This was originally 16x9

The following is also dull, but its biggest issue is that the barn faces to the right and yet is crowded on that side. The eye wants to see what is in front of a moving animal, where a person is looking, or what has come out of the barn if anything. To just see the edge of the frame is jarring, while lots of empty space behind the barn is totally wasted in the frame.

This I didn't change and a co-worked set it as their wallpaper

The complaints about these three frames are legit in my opinion. In my opinion, you cannot save the first one but the second can be saved with saturation and perhaps some brightness and warmth, and the last one can be saved with a crop and some further warmth (sun on barn walls kind of thing) ... if you don't mind, I have played with it a wee bit to show you what I mean ...

Basically, make the image about the barn ...

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow