What camera for a 13 year old that likes video but may also have an eye for stills?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,053Gear list
Like?
What camera for a 13 year old that likes video but may also have an eye for stills?
11 months ago

I'd like to buy my son a reasonably priced camera who aside for video games I think has a potential eye for still photography.  I don't want to spend too much, approx. $100-$200 give or take, but I do want him to be able to grow with the camera and be able to also do reasonable quality video.  He'll be going to Vietnam and Korea soon and I want him to be able to document the trip in his own way.

I'm a still photography guy with a D800 and OMD but I don't know much about which P&S cameras are the best these days so any help you folks can provide would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not against buying used so something used at around $200 would also be acceptable.

Thanks guys

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow