Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,035Gear list
Like?
Re: a lot of pressure on Sony now ...
In reply to parallaxproblem, 9 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

socode wrote:

I'm still none the wiser as to what you want nor why you can't upgrade to e.g. a NEX-7 equivalent until it has a successor, if you have a 4 year old NEX-5.

Does it matter what I personally want?

The users of a camera system bought into that system because it had certain things that appealed to them. In the case of NEX, for a long time the USP's (Unique Selling Points) IMHO were:

- small body size which came from 'brick' format

- high quality of construction (partially metal body on NEX-5, almost fully metal body on NEX-7 and all lenses had metal bodies)

- ability to use legacy lenses

- various high tech features

The NEX range at the time of discontinuation had four cameras in it: NEX-3, NEX-5, NEX-6, NEX-7

With the new range it would seem that we are looking at 2 cameras instead:

- the NEX-3 and NEX-5 replaced by a NEX-3 level camera, the A5000

- if the rumours are true then NEX-6 and NEX-7 replaced by a NEX-6 level camera, I speculate the A7000

The A3000 is not a NEX replacement camera and there is no room between price level of A5000 and A7000 for a NEX-5 replacement

The A5000 is $600 with lens. It's not clear to me what the price would be for the A7000 or exactly what will be in it. If it's $800 or $900 with lens, then maybe you're right, that there's no room for another model. In the previous round, the Nex-6 was, what, $900 to $1000 and now $800 and I forget what the Nex-7 sold for originally, but now it's $1,250. If the A7000 is a replacement for the 6 and 7 and is sold for $800, then sure, there is no room between an A5000 and A7000, but it is still unclear what these next model(s) will be, much less the pricing.

But if Sony wanted to, I think they could come out with two models to replace the 6 and 7. It makes sense to me for them to combine them, and encourage people to move up to the A7 if they want a higher-end model. A Nex-6/7 replacement with a 20mp sensor would be a nice upgrade for Nex-5 and 6 users, while Nex-7 users could be encouraged to move to the A7. Maybe that's Sony's strategy here, or maybe not, but that would be my guess, if there's only one more model.

Therefore there appear to be no plans at moment for a NEX-5 or 'real' NEX-7 replacement at a similar price point so NEX users already see their options reduced. I repeat that nobody with a NEX-5, NEX-5N or NEX-5T will be interested in the A5000 so all NEX-5, NEX-6 and NEX-7 users have to look at one camera... the NEX-7 replacement

What is left to add to the 5T but ever-smaller improvements? Besides, the 5T is still pretty new; presumably it will be for sale for a while, should someone want it.

As for the Nex-6, there was always a close overlap between this and the 7, at least in theory.

My guess is that the A7000 will replace the old Nex-5x and Nex-6 camera lines.

If it is not a 'brick' format then the first USP in my list is lost... hence my 'dump the hump' signature

It's an open question whether or not the A7000 will look more like the Nex-6/7 or the A7.

If it has a 'NEX-6' level of construction then the second USP is lost for existing NEX-7 users

If that is an essential requirement, then so be it. Personally, I'm fine with my Nex-6's construction.

Doubtless it will support legacy lenses and have high tech features so the last two USP's remain but that is not enough to remain in a camera system in my opinion. Waiting for a replacement is fine if you are sure a replacement is going to arrive, but Sony are refusing to give us any idea what the future plans are and are busy re-organising their product ranges at the moment so we are all completely in the dark and it is quite probable that no replacement will be arriving.

It's quite probable that they have a replacement that may or may not have all of the features you are looking for and may have new features. But saying that there is "no replacement" because it might not tick all of your boxes seems a bit overly dramatic.

If a system is going in a direction you don't want then you need to start looking at alternatives quickly, particularly if you think that others are not going to like it either as you stand the risk of being left with valueless equipment and no future upgrade path if the producer's strategy fails as the owners of many 'orphaned' camera systems will tell you

Perhaps, but you actually have to then live with the problems and limitations of whatever system you go into. Don't tell me there aren't limitations and risks with the other systems!

The thing is, different cameras and brands have different advantages and disadvantages; choose the camera that has the features you like and where you don't mind the limitations so much.

What do I, personally, want? OK, FWIW I want *real* replacements for the NEX-5 and NEX-6 and NEX-7 bodies (we gave the NEX-3 replacement now in the form of the A5000) which continue with the same basic characteristics (eg. 'brick' body format, quality of construction, price) but just add improved features (eg. AF, corrected firmware bugs etc) in the way that we as NEX users thought was going to happen prior to the the discontinuation of the NEX name and the 'faux-DSLR' styling of the A3000 and A7/r

The A3000 wasn't for you or me, but I think it was worth it for them to try it and see if it would work for someone. I don't have to be interested in all Sony cameras; only a couple really interest me. And, it sounds like they're about to release a camera to replace the 6/7 range.

Now, if Sony drops all rangefinder styles or upgrade paths for the rangefinder-style Nexes, as I think had been suggested in the past, then I'd agree, that'd be very disappointing. But, it seems that Sony is trying to vary the designs a bit more, but still is including the rangefinder style. So, we'll just have to see how it goes.

Can I honestly be any clearer?

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow