Should I go RAW only?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,007Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I go RAW only?
In reply to IGotShot, 11 months ago

IGotShot wrote:

I've been shooting RAW+JPEG and now after seeing the ability of the Adobe RAW converter, I'm considering whether to just shoot RAW. What do you guys think?

I used to shoot jpg only because I didn't know any better. Then after messing up some WB settings and having a hell of a time trying to correct the images, I started shooting RAW+jpg. That gave me instant jpgs and RAW files when I needed to work on them. I learned to Lightroom to do my editing and found it pretty easy to use.

Eventually I had so many images I was having trouble finding things. LR helped by allowing me to add tags to the images. That made it easier to search for something. But I still had a lot of jpgs that didn't go through LR.

Eventually I decided to shoot RAW only. That forced me to put all my images through LR, and since I can add tags to a block of images at import time, I could be assured that all my images got tags. And by dropping the jpg I saved about 30% of the space on my card by not recording both.

If you use LR (and I recommend it), shoot RAW only and make sure all your images are in the catalog. The amount of time you have to spend is negligible compared to the time you spend trying to find images you took a couple years ago.

If you only take a few images a year, RAW might not be for you. But it's pretty easy to take 10,000 shots in a year. That's only 30 a day. If you shoot a lot less than that, you can probably get by with RAW+jpg. But I recommend NOT dropping the RAW.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LazyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow