Like?
Re: Roman and Rservello
In reply to Stacey_K, 11 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

RomanJohnston wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

RomanJohnston wrote:

including going through my old stuff to see what might work

This is what I was talking about, people don't "shoot" B&W anymore, it's an afterthought.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

I would say for the most part you are correct. There are a few though....that take the time to "see" in B&W and contemplate a shot because of its appeal to become a B&W.

Rarer that they are though. Many of us could stand to apply such discipline as we grow our skills as a photographer.

A trick I was shown and the technique I used. If I found a shot that had promise, I would took at it through a red 25 filter. This basically turns the scene monochrome and given I like the look a red filter gives to most landscapes scenes, it was a good way to judge visually what it would look like without color.

Obviously when shooting film I used B&W film so I would go out that day with the purpose of shooting B&W. I personally never shot color and B&W on the same outing. You are looking for shapes and interesting light, you have to ignore the color.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

The thing I really love about shooting color for black and white is that you can sometimes review images and realize that the color info is secondary, or distracting to the intention and black and white just works better.

I was reviewing shots from this weekend and came across this one :

I thought, well it worked the way I wanted it to...but the color really makes the eye go everywhere.

Processing it in black and white however:

That's the shot I was going for.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow