Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,484Gear list
Like?
Re: Then how does that work?
In reply to Paul De Bra, 7 months ago

Paul De Bra wrote:

People have reported that the short release lag option helps remedy shutter shock. I wonder if you know how it works to have that effect? I understood that it worked by keeping the shutter open so the exposure starts faster but I could be mistaken. If it doesn't prevent the shutter from closing and then opening before the shot is taken, how can it help to avoid shutter shock? I'm confused now.

No, setting the release lag-time to short doesn't do what you think it does. It doesn't eliminate the first two phases of shutter action (shutter closing to prepare the sensor for exposure, shutter opening for exposure). This is what an electronic first curtain would do but no MFT camera except the GM1 has that yet.

When you set release lag-time to short, the camera "cocks" the shutter at another point in time than would ordinarily be the case. With the release lag-time set to normal, the shutter is "cocked" immediately after you press the shutter button and right before the shutter blades start moving. With release lag-time set to short, the shutter is instead "cocked" immediately after each exposure so that the "cocking" stage can be omitted when you press the shutter button. That explains why the shutter delay is reduced.

I am not sure we have a final verdict on whether and how the release lag-time setting affects the likelihood of blur due to shutter shock. But you find some hypothetical thoughts on the matter here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3496076

and in later posts in the subthread that follows.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow