Sony where are your fast zoom lenses?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 3,084Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony where are your fast zoom lenses?
In reply to Lumixdude, 11 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Not a lot hey, I've kinda wanted a super zoom for the longest time, I just didn't want to put up with an FZ150/FZ200 small sensor. It's just the lack of lenses and ending up outgrowing it that puts me off another fixed lens camera.

Your OP is about ultra wide angle zoom, no? And that is assuming you are not talking FF equiv rather APSc focal length?

To understand your problem, let us define it first: what would be the ideal focal length range (FF equiv) for a zoom and what would be fast enough aperture to go with it. Also, why do you think bumping up the ISO is a big deal... is it noise, detail, dynamic range?

Ideally... full frame, I guess 24mm on the wide end and I'd probably go out to 300mm on the long end eventually, something like an F/2.8 would be nice, although f/3.5 could suffice I guess... with something around F/5.6 on the long end if I'm looking at canon glass. That would give reasonable day time usage and it's not outrageous by any means... Probably something like a 24-70 and 70-300 in Canon as something to start with. I might look at a 16-30 after that... But a simple 2 lens kit would be all that I'd need to get started.

Ok, here is a breakdown of what you're asking for:

Canon 6D: $1,500

24-70/2.8: $2,300

70-300/4-5.6 (not the high end L version): $650

16-35/2.8: $1,700

You really want to spend $4,500-6,000 on camera gear when all you know about is compacts before that?

And you know how much that kit weighs right?

Honestly, the assumptions you're making are totally out of whack with large sensor cameras. Do yourself a favor and stick to the $500 option for now until you learn a little more about photography. Once you're familiar with the sensor size andd you can see how well you understand the trade-offs involved with fast lenses, you'll be in a much better position to actually judge what your needs really are. At the moment you've got way too many point-and-shoot assumptions in your head to actually objectively judge what you really need.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
OKNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow