Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Mr Sincere
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?
In reply to Anders W, 8 months ago

Anders W wrote:

Paulmorgan wrote:

Judging by the posters pictures he likes shooting portraits in bright Sunny condition as I do, the 1/8000s max shutter speed has real advantages here

We'll see what he says. But a simple solution to that problem is an ND filter, a polarizer, or a magenta filter (for maximum signal-noise performance).

Paul was actually right, this time.  I like to take a lot of outdoor portraits, so that 1/8000 would be super handy.  For more formal shooting, sure, an ND filter would work fine.  But I also do a lot of random shooting (including candid portraits) just when I'm out and about, and it's nice to not worry about taking an ND filter on and off as the lighting conditions change.  I found that an almost deal killing nuisance with the x20 when I used it.

That said, I've done tons of shooting on m43 with the 20mm/1.7 in bright light, wide open, on cameras that didn't do 1/8000, and managed just fine.  But that 1/8000 was one of those nice convenience factors that helped sell the EP5 to me.

If you look at the New Orleans photos I posted elsewhere, you'll see the reason I wanted that 5-axis stabilization:  I like to take lots of night street shots also.

However, it may well be that the 3-axis stabilization is "good enough".  I was planning to wait for the reviews.

Mr Sincere's gear list:Mr Sincere's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 G1 X II Nikon D90 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow