Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,858Gear list
Like?
Re: Some real world examples of shutter shock, and other random thoughts.
In reply to Mr Sincere, 8 months ago

Mr Sincere wrote:

I was kinda hoping this thread would fade off the front page and into obscurity, but since others are bumping it, I might as well too...

Well, I had managed to convince myself to keep the camera, as turning on the short shutter lag option has made a pretty big difference (and, I didn't want to pay a fee to return it, and I otherwise love the camera).

With the short shutter lag option enabled, I'd guestimate that maybe 10% of the shots I'm taking have noticeable signs of shock, and rarely is it bad shock. If I wasn't looking for it, I wouldn't notice it on most.

Until this morning, when I decided to stop and take some photos of a beautiful sunrise. Shutter shock wasn't even on my mind at the time. But of course, I couldn't resist hitting the ol' Z key in Lightroom while reviewing later and, ugh, there it was, clear as day, on 2 of the 10. One of which had my favorite framing of the series. What a bummer that was.

Honestly, at typical screen viewing size nobody would ever notice, so I shouldn't worry about it. But still... it bugs me. I see the blur now, even at normal viewing sizes.

Have you tried the holding technique I would recommend (when the lens is short and light enough as it is in this case)?

Hold the camera with your right hand as you ordinarily would. Hold it with your left hand in roughly the same way as you hold it with your right. Don't support under the lens and (if you use an EVF) don't press the camera to your head. Does that improve your success rate?

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow