Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,121Gear list
Like?
Right you are
In reply to Jan3x5, 6 months ago

Jan3x5 wrote:

dave gaines wrote:

So whatever you do, don't try to replace your 4/3 lenses with full frame equivalents for anywhere near the price or IQ. Keep your E-series and OM-D E-Mx and use these lenses. Make me an offer on my few remaining lenses. It's too late to save me, but you can still benefit from my system switch.

Hey Dave,

correct me, if I am wrong, but it seems that you have very limited (if any) real life experience with Nikon system and lenses. I must admit, there were the times, when I was thinking in a similar way as you do... but I was wrong.

Hi Jan,

Yes, you got that right. I have very little hands on experience with FX lenses. I have read a lot of reviews and almost every post on the Nikon Lens forum. I've learned a bunch on theory, like MTF charts, yet still can't tell fact from opinion in the forum. Last weekend I shot with the 14-24 mm f/2.8 lens and like it as much or more than the 7-14 mm f/4. Both are great lenses though.

In my search for the right lenses I began with the premise that if I shoot with a $3300 FF camera I will need the best lenses. Otherwise why spend the big bucks for the camera? As I said to Peter above, what I learned from Olympus was that eventually I wanted to shoot primarily with the SHG lenses. Occasionally you need a HG lens for what a SHG cannot do, as I said in my OP.

I see a lot of $2000 + Nikon FX lenses that I know work great on Nikon FF. It's the less expensive primes that are so hard to compare. And some of the f/1.4 G lenses are expensive! I'm not very interested in slow zooms. So far I have the trilogy of f/2.8 zooms, a 105 f/2.8D macro, a fisheye and an f/2.8 UWA zoom I can put flters on. All of these cost more than what I spent on Olympus HG & SHG lenses, not that cost is the most important factor. And I managed to find good used copies of all of these.

It's actually kind of haunting to go on a shopping spree for lenses without knowing how some of them perform and without a lot of experience with the camera or format. I do know what my goals are and what focal length of lens I need. SO I think I've covered my bases well so far.

Yes, I had all that superior Zuiko lenses; if I remember well it was 8FE, 7-14, 12-60, 14-35, 14-45, 14-54, 14-54 MkII, PL 14-50, PL 14-150, 35, 35-100, 40-150, 50, 50-200, 150, 90-250, EC-14, EC-20, EX-25,... What I can tell you, switching to Nikon FX was no problem and I did not miss even a single Oly lens.

Obviously, you needed more Olympus lenses.  The 3 that I mentioned in my OP are unique and do things this long list of lenses can't do, like the fisheye and the distortion free 11-22. But those are a good start.

Not going to argue with anybody, just my 2 cents. ...

Yea, me neither. There is no right answer when it comes to gear. And there are many ways to take the same photo.

Anyway, always like to see enthusiasts around and gear is not the most important thing for the good picture, so keep enjoying!

Words to photograph by. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Oh?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow