Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,066Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?
In reply to Mr Sincere, 11 months ago

Mr Sincere wrote:

traveler_101 wrote:

Dear Mr. Sincere

Thank you for posting; it has been a tremedously informative and at times entertaining thread.

Umm, you're welcome? I personally always feel a bit guilty when I start a thread that degenerates into a flame war, but I suppose there have been a few educational and entertaining bits.

My advice is to dump this camera as soon as you can and instead of buying a used E-M5 for $650, pick up a brand new E-M10 for $699. Then you ahve a full warranty, plus dpreview has ths to say about it: "The good news is that our preliminary testing suggests it isn't prone to the image shake that can occur with the PEN E-P5."

This has occurred to me. However, the 1/8000 shutter on the EP5 was a huge selling point to me, along with its 5-axis stabilization. Both are features I know I'll use extensively. The E-M1 is way out of my price range, and I prefer something a little smaller anyway.

Your call of course. But let me ask, nevertheless, why the 1/8000 shutter and the 5-axis IBIS are huge selling points to you? Exactly what would they let you do that you can't do equally well with 1/4000 and 3-axis IBIS?

As far as shock on the E-M10 goes, I think I'll wait and be cautiously optimistic on that one. I do believe there is some sample variation out there on how bad the shock is between cameras, and that there are plenty of EP5s that don't show much shock. By the same token, DPReview may just have a good copy of an E-M10. Further, I'm not sure whether the E-M10 has the short shutter lag option, which made a big difference with my EP5.

I don't like to buy used digital cameras--lenses o.k. but cameras no.

I think I learned my lesson the hard way on buying used from an individual. I've always bought used from retailers (Amazon, B&H, camera shop, etc) where returns aren't an issue. This particular individual said shock wasn't an issue with the camera before I made the purchase. :-/

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow