Should I go RAW only?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
I did not know that!
In reply to richardplondon, 11 months ago

richardplondon wrote:

already, I started looking for the answer before reading the other replies. hope the automatic correction in LR works for you! In case you ever need it, you can shoot a brick wall at different apertures and focal lengths and create a lens profile yourself by making manual adjustments, but that's really tedious!

In case anyone does not know, Adobe provide a software tool and downloadable targets that can be printed, allowing highly accurate correction profiles to be built for any lens and camera, shooting in either JPG or Raw, by the end user.

You are not dependent on the availability of profiles made by Adobe or by anyone else.

They also have an online facility for sharing these user-generated profiles within the community, and these apply interchangeably for ACR and for Lightroom.

So that thirty-year-old lens can be corrected in an objective (empirical) way which even reverses any peculiarities of that specific example of the lens. This profiled approach is far more effective than manual adjustments, in that even quite complex non-linear aberrations (such as wavy "moustache" distortion) can be corrected. Manual adjustments assume the simplest form of barrel/pincushion and vignetting only.

Adobe nowadays correct CA programmatically, no longer via the profile.

They do not (yet?) profile sharpness falloff by those means, though I suppose one could approximate that via a radial gradient correction stored in a preset.

Thank you so much for sharing that, I didn't know about the downloadable targets! Do you have a link for them? I can look for them myself but if you happen to have the link handy that would be great.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LazyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow