D800 Autofocus issues II

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
bvd
bvd
Regular MemberPosts: 204
Like?
Re: D800, best Nikon AF system until now...
In reply to Photo Pete, 9 months ago

Photo Pete wrote:

Stany

Great images and also representative of the AF performance of my D800 under most conditions.

My only issue with the D800 focus is that AF-C tends to micro hunt when shooting under tungsten lights (typical lounge lighting), never settling on the subject. This would typically be an eye of a head and shoulders subject. My D3S never did that.

I'm currently working on posting some test images to show this using a photograph of a portrait as the focus target (flat target). Sequential images show slight variations in focus accuracy from shot to shot, depending at what point in its continuous micro hunting the AF-C focus is stopped at to take the photo.

Have you experienced anything similar? No point in sending my camera in to Nikon if this is a limitation of the AF-C performance generally.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

i just sent a d800 back because of the same problem. Lounge light makes it really hunt for focus a lot in AFC.  A friend of mine has a d800E and is experiencing the same problem.  Sure i can use live view to get the best shots, but i also like to take candids of children in lounge light using AFC. too much to ask?

Bart

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow