Comparing Olympus 4/3lenses to FX "Full Frame" offerings

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,081Gear list
Like?
Just shot down your own argument
In reply to Tiger1, 7 months ago

Tiger1 wrote:

Enlargement in the digital era is all about numbers of pixels coupled with cleanliness/sharpness per pixel. It has little to do with sensor size (although I have been arguing that the larger sensors can have larger photosites which trap more photons and you can have more of them to boot!).

Yes, how much you can enlarge is based on the total number of photosites, not the size of the sensor, but given the same technology, you have to enlarge the sensor to increase the number of photosites. Cramming more, smaller sites can reduce the image quality for various reasons.  So yes, sensor size matters

But really, the question isn't 'How much do I need to produce an eight foot print?', it's 'How much do I need to print the size I normally print, with room for cropping?'

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Oh?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow