knickerhawk
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,284
Like?
Re: What?
In reply to Chris59, 8 months ago

Chris59 wrote:

knickerhawk wrote:

Charles2 wrote:

Depending on the camera, the camera JPG may be good for many uses yet difficult to duplicate. Even the software from many camera manufacturers does not duplicate the JPG; the camera JPG recipe is apparently regarded as a secret sauce.

Which camera companies and which cameras produce noticeably different jpegs compared to processing the image in their proprietary raw converters (with same settings as in-camera)? It makes no sense to me that camera companies would deliberately handicap their proprietary raw processing software. What's the upside to that?

By the way, I can personally attest that it's not true for Nikon and Olympus raw processing software.

It's not a question of "handicapping" but of priorities. Most, if not all camera JPEG engines are designed to produce an image file from the RAW data quickly and efficiently in deference to frame rate and battery conservation. The RAW processor software is designed to produce the best image possible, time and energy considerations being largely irrelevant. Certainly Canon JPEGs are better when processed via software than in camera, even when no adjustments are made.

I'm aware of the argument about more processing power allowing for better renderings on a computer, but in practice I haven't seen this to be the case with the standard "free" raw converters that camera manufacturers offer.  That's what I was referring to and what I thought Charles2 was talking about.  I have no doubt that some third party (and perhaps some advanced camera manufacturer) raw converters are superior to the in-camera and freebie camera manufacturer versions.

I also had the impression that Charles2 was implying that in-camera conversions were sometimes better (the "secret sauce" statement).  Like you, I continue to consider that to be unlikely.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LazyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow