Starting a business specializing in portraiture

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
senduran
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Re: Starting a business specializing in portraiture
In reply to spytrek007, 11 months ago

spytrek007 wrote:

I need some advice here. I am starting a new business and will be specializing in outdoor or on location portraits. My target market is models/actors, couples, families and children.

For models, I understand that one has to have a model release form to be able to use their images on ones portfolio. Do i need model release forms when photographing couples, children, families or any similar form?

In the UK you can use photos of people for commercial gain without their permission. You do not require a release; the only disadvantage of not having one is that if you later try to sell your image to a publisher, they will request a release if they publish internationally.

This scenario does not apply to you though, especially as these photos are just for your personal portfolio.

Additionally, getting a release signed may be detrimental if it limits you more than having nothing signed by anyone (where your rights are expansive), and if you ever work with REAL models (ie. fashion models form reputable agencies), they will not sign your releases anyway.

http://www.urban75.org/photos/photographers-rights-street-shooting.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow