coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,909Gear list
Like?
Re: Can someone please point me to hard evidence of D800 focus problems
In reply to Robin Casady, 6 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

coronawithlime wrote:

Fair enough.

Putting the left focus issue aside for the moment, how would one certify or dispose of the APPARANTLY observed tendency of my D800 to low light focus hunt relative to my D3x and my D700? I have nothing to offer beyond my un scientific personal observation of only one sample, which settles nothing.

My experience has been that my D700 did more hunting in low light than does my D800E.

Well, there you go! Most of what we have is anecdotal evidence. My experience and your experience differ, it's entirely possible we're both right, and that's likely the whole deal with the D800 in a nutshell. Fine camera, just requires operator control.

My 17-35 f2.8 seems the worst. I should note from the outset however, that I haven't examined the issue carefully. It's entirely possible there's some pilot error in there somewhere.

What kind of light (warm CFL, incandescent, daylight, daylight CFL, LED)?

This was kind of interesting. I first noticed it while recording the restoration work below decks in a WWII warship. Lighting was mixed, they had everything in the world down there somewhere. Including some real bright LED flashlights, which were incredible pain trying to color balance.

It was unusual enough I pulled the lens off and cleaned the contacts, but still had trouble. Later in the day I had the exact same thing happen ABOVE decks in the bright summer sun. Decided it was a lack of contrast thing on all the battleship gray. Like I said, pilot error.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, my personal shooting procedures have been adjusted to take advantage of the camera's strengths and avoid what I perceive as potential weekness, so for me this is also largely academic. I'm sold on the camera

That is the best road to success. Us old guys have to laugh at someone who is outraged that a camera wont do everything perfectly for him/her in all situations.

Somebody went off a couple of months ago saying something to the effect he had a "right" to expect correct automatic exposure from a $3000 camera.

When I was younger I used to fly a plane a little. I could put the plane on automatic pilot sometimes and let Ben fly the plane, but I still couldn't take a nap

Like your car photos. 

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow